The Executive Board of the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea in the Republic of Kazakhstan (EB IFAS in RK) is an international organization, which basic aim is solving problem of Kazakhstani part of the Aral Sea basin and of its region, advocating for positive changes in the Aral Sea region population’s life by improving environmental and socio-economic conditions. EB IFAS in RK promotes implementation of projects on water resources, environment and socio-economic directions. During the process of forming its opportunities, EB IFAS in RK rely upon its staff members and rich range of partners.
EB IFAS in RK acts in partnership with international organizations, donors, private business and private investors for joint solving of ecological questions with the aim of achieving sustainable development in the Aral Sea region. Established in 1993, EB IFAS in RK is an executive and administrative body of the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea (IFAS).
EB IFAS in RK is a territorial permanent working body of the Executive Committee of the IFAS in the Republic of Kazakhstan. In accordance with Status of IFAS and its organizations Agreement of 9 April 1999, approved by Heads of state of Central Asia, EB IFAS in RK enjoyed international organization status, immunity and privileges.
In accordance with the Executive Board of the IFAS in Republic of Kazakhstan Regulations main tasks of EB IFAS are: providing practical implementation of decisions of Heads of state of Central Asia Council, the President of the Fund, the Board and the Executive Committee of IFAS on the issues of Aral Sea basin, considering Kazakhstani part of the basin, implementation and monitoring of projects and programs of the Aral Sea basin, funded by the means of Republican budget and attracting funds of donor-states, as well as international organizations for financing programs and projects on rehabilitation of the Aral Sea basin, preparing information materials for decision-making bodies, members of the Board of IFAS from the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Executive Committee of IFAS.
History of development of IFAS
18 January 1992
The decision by Supreme Council of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On urgent measures on concrete transformation of living conditions of the Aral Sea region population” were adopted, which stated that as a result of continuous shrinkage of the Aral Sea, natural and economic conditions in the Aral Sea region reached crisis state, unbalancing natural environment, sharply degenerated living conditions and health of population.
19 April 1993
By the decision adopted by the Board of IFAS in Almaty, in paragraph 5.2 of Provisions functional responsibilities of the Executive Board of the IFAS were determined.
28 February 1997
The decision had been endorsed by Head of States of Central Asia in Almaty where the principles of managing International Fund for saving the Aral Sea proposed by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Nazarbayev N.A. In accordance with new management structure Executive Committee of IFAS had been developed with direct reporting to the President of IFAS, stationed by system of rotation at countries representing IFAS. Since 1997 Executive Board of IFAS has become a branch of the Executive Committee of IFAS in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Since then, the name have been changed to Executive Board of the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Mission and development strategy
The mission of the Executive Board of the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea in the Republic of Kazakhstan is to:
- Provide practical implementation of the Council of Heads of State of Central Asia, President of the Fund and the Board of the IFAS on problems of the Aral Sea basin, concerning Republic of Kazakhstan and in accordance with orders of the Executive Committee of the IFAS;
- Implement projects and programs of the Aral Sea basin;
- Accumulate financial and other funds and to provide its target usage;
- Assist in the work of the Interstate Commission for Water Coordination (ICWC) and the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD);
- Prepare materials for conducting meetings of the Board of the Fund and the Executive Committee of the IFAS;
To accomplish its mission the Executive Board:
- Takes part in organizing, development and implementation of project and programs on issues of the Aral Sea basin;
- Determines interaction with international organizations, donor-countries, funds, ministries, agencies, public, environmental and other organizations of the Republic of Kazakhstan and as agreed with the Executive Committee of the IFAS provides representation in relevant international organizations and institutions;
- Provides information to the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Executive Committee of the IFAS about its operation in due course.
The main lines of development of the EB IFAS in RK activity are:
- To assist further rehabilitation of ecological and socio-economical atmosphere in the region;
- To provide normal living conditions for population who lives in Kazakhstani part of the Aral Sea basin.