Activities of the Regional Center of Hydrology to implement the World Bank project on modernization of hydrometeorological services in Central Asia2012-2020.
Since January 2012, the Regional Center for Hydrology (RCH), implements the World Bank’s Central Asia Hydrometeorology Modernization Project (CAHMP).
To address the issues of improving hydrometeorological services in Central Asia, the heads of the National Hydrometeorological Services (NHMS) of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Republic of Tajikistan and Republic of Uzbekistan signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the implementation of a program of regional and national activities under the initiative to improve hydrometeorological services in Central Asia.
One of the most important elements in the structure of the Project is the Regional component, which coordinates activities at the regional level. Under the direct leadership of the regional component activities were carried out to improve the system of data exchange, development of regional forecasting, training of the NHMS staff in international training centers. The regional activities carried out during 2012-2020 contributed to enabling the NMHS to provide better and more reliable services to their customers, including public and weather-sensitive sectors.
The main tasks of the PMHMS CA:
- Assist in rebuilding the infrastructure and human resource capacity of the CA NHMS;
- Helping to manage the impacts of climate change;
- Supporting the economic development of agriculture, water management, energy and transport in Central Asian states;
- Assisting NHMS of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Tajikistan in improving the material and technical base required for the observation and forecasting of changes in the environment, strengthening their capacity and personnel capabilities, as well as in developing new business practices to ensure the sustainability of hydrometeorological services;
- Assistance in the development of regional cooperation in the field of hydrometeorology, including through the exchange of relevant information;
- Reducing economic losses due to the high degree of uncertainty for industry and agriculture due to weather and climate risks.
Regional activities of the Regional Center of Hydrology were implemented in the following main sections:
Strengthening technical and organizational capacity of NHMS of CA to receive, storing and exchange information.
Improving regional education system, preparing and increasing employees’ qualification of NHMS of CA.
Activities to improve quality of services for users of hydrometeorological products.
As a result of implementation of regional activities of RCH, the following have been carried out:
Modernization of Regional meteorological center of WMO (Tashkent)
- Supply and installation of software for the content reception system of RSMC of WMO (Tashkent)
- Equipment supply for the content reception and visualization system in RSMC of WMO (Tashkent)
- Supply and installation of telecommunication equipment in RSMC of WMO (Tashkent)
Implementation of data processing system on the level of forecast services of NHMS
- Supply of a software for visualization system in RSMC of WMO (Tashkent)
Creating online access system to information products on the basis of satellite data
- Equipment and software supply for thematic processing of space imagery materials:
➢ RCH of EC IFAS
Retraining and advanced training of monitoring units staff
- Equipment supply for the new regional education center on lakes and water reservoirs (Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan)
- Education equipment supply to provide retraining and advanced training of observation units staff:
➢Regional education center of WMO Tashkent
➢RCH of EC IFAS
- Supply of equipment for hydrological data processing of Aral Sea (EC IFAS)
Retraining and staff development of observation units’ employees
- Creating Distance providing system:
➢ RCH of EC IFAS
- Creation of Distance training system branches:
➢Astana (RCH of EC IFAS)
- Purchase of electronic teaching aids for Distance training system (4 NHMS)
- Staff development of trainers and leading specialists of NHMS (4 NHMS)
➢ Kazakhstan – 8
➢ Kyrgyzstan – 8
➢ Tajikistan – 7
➢ Uzbekistan – 8
Implementation of cascading method on forecasting of harsh weather conditions in Central Asia. Adaptation of technology in RSMC of WMO Tashkent is in favor of 4 NHMS of CA
- Equipment supply for numerical forecast for the work of NHMS on national and regional levels (4 NHMS)
- Education activities on cascading method of access to the results of numerical forecast (4 NHMS)
Increasing quality of services for consumers of hydrometeorological data and infromation
- Shaping the fund of hydrometeorological data on electronic carriers for long-term (indefinite) data storage (Kazhydromet)
- Design and alignment of warning procedure on emergencies on regional and national levels, based on analysis with an appropriate international experience
The results of RCH on implementing project of modernization of hydrometeorological service in Central Asia on state and regional levels since 2012 to 2020 are:
- Cooperation development between NHMS of Central Asia regarding data reception, processing and exchange in the region;
- Improvement of technical and organization capabilities of NHMS on reception, storage and exchange of information;
- Providing access to big data and information, produced by world centers of data and numerical forecasts;
- Quality improvement of consumer service of hydrometeorological products;
- Creation of more diverse information products in user friendly and client oriented format;
- More complete forecasting as a result of adaptation and implementation of numerical weather forecasts in NHMS provides risk reduction of floods, droughts and fires, winds and abnormal weather conditions, as well as increasing readiness to emergencies caused by such phenomena;
- Implementation of cascading method on forecasting severe weather conditions (SWFDP) in CA. Adaptation of COSMO technologies in RSMC of WMO (Tashkent) in favor of 4 NHMS of CA;
- Providing access to big data and information, produced by world data and numerical forecasts centers;
- Establishment of new regional training center for NHMS of CA;
- Retraining and staff development of employees of observation units;
- Project contributed to achieve objectives of increasing accuracy and timeliness of hydrometeorological services submission in Central Asia with an emphasis to strengthen the capacity of Kyrgyzhydromet and Tajikhydromet;
- The project also designed to reduction of economic losses due to high degree of uncertainty for industry and agriculture caused by weather and climate risks.
Partners of RCH in implementation of PMHMS of CA: